The Defintion of the Terms
- Domestically Licensed Banks: Banks which are established and licensed under the Japanese legislation (excluding Bank of Japan and government related organizations). In the several statistics, the following categories are adopted.
(1) City Banks: Mizuho Bank, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, Resona Bank, Mizuho Corporate Bank, Saitama Resona Bank.
(2) Regional Banks: Member Banks of the Association of Regional Banks.
(3) Regional Banks II: Member banks of the Second Association of Regional Banks. For statistics through April 1992, figures of sogo banks prior to their conversion to ordinary banks are included in principle.
(4) Trust Banks: Trust banks operating trust business in addition to the conventional banking business, based on the Act concerning Concurrent Operation of the Trust Business. These Trust banks do not fit into the banks in (1), (2) and (3) of above.
- Foreign Banks in Japan: Foreign Banks in Japan that have a license for banking business in accordance with Article 47, Clause 1 of the "Bank Act."