Bank of Japan Accounts (September 30, 2017)
October 6, 2017
Bank of Japan
|Japanese government securities||435,908,144,805|
|Pecuniary trusts (stocks held as trust property)6||1,094,568,250|
|Pecuniary trusts (index-linked exchange-traded funds held as trust property)7||15,842,196,374|
|Pecuniary trusts (Japan real estate investment trusts held as trust property)8||429,152,095|
|Loans (excluding those to the Deposit Insurance Corporation)||46,879,358,000|
|Foreign currency assets9||6,737,958,258|
|Deposits with agents10||10,288,195|
|Deposits of the government||17,842,851,899|
|Payables under repurchase agreements||388,549,290|
|Legal and special reserves||3,184,432,807|
- The Bank's total assets outstanding at the end of September 2017 is 513.4 trillion yen, with an approximate increase of 56.6 trillion yen from the corresponding balance of 456.8 trillion yen at the end of September 2016 (the rate of increase is 12.4%).
- Main reasons for year-on-year changes in major items:
|Assets||Year-on-Year Differences (Rate of Changes)|
|Japanese government securities||+38.3 trillion yen (+9.6%)
Reflecting the Bank's outright purchases of JGBs.
|Loans (excluding those to the Deposit Insurance Corporation)||+11.6 trillion yen (+33.0%)
Reflecting the increase in the loans provided mainly through the Loan Support Program.
|Liabilities||Year-on-Year Differences (Rate of Changes)|
|Current deposits||+57.3 trillion yen (+18.4%)
Reflecting the funds provision mainly through the Bank's outright purchases of JGBs.
|Deposits of the government||-11.9 trillion yen (-40.0%)
Reflecting the management of treasury funds.
- 3Coins reserved for circulation.
- 4Comprises the following types, in dematerialized or physical form: (1) commercial paper issued by domestic corporations; (2) commercial paper issued by foreign corporations with guarantees (dematerialized only); (3) asset-backed commercial paper; and (4) commercial paper issued by real estate investment corporations.
- 5Includes bonds issued by real estate investment corporations.
- 6Stocks purchased from financial institutions through a trust bank.
- 7Beneficiary interests in index-linked exchange-traded funds purchased through a trust bank.
- 8Investment equity issued by real estate investment corporations purchased through a trust bank.
- 9Foreign currency deposits held at foreign central banks and the Bank for International Settlements, securities issued by foreign governments, foreign currency mutual funds, and foreign currency loans, such as (1) loans by U.S. dollar funds-supplying operations against pooled collateral and (2) loans pursuant to the special rules for the U.S. dollar lending arrangement to enhance the fund-provisioning measure to support strengthening the foundations for economic growth conducted through the loan support program.
- 10Deposits held at agents that conduct operations relating to treasury funds and Japanese government securities on behalf of the Bank of Japan. These deposits are reserved for such operations.
- 11Deposits held by foreign central banks and others.
- 12Includes miscellaneous liabilities and current income (net accumulated profits). For reports from April to around mid-May, net income for the previous fiscal year before appropriation is also included.
- 13End-of-term figures as of March 31 and September 30 are preliminary, and the final figures are released in May and November in the Bank's financial statements.
(Annex Table 1)
|Japanese government bonds||404,239,052,509|
|Treasury discount bills||31,669,092,295|
(Annex Table 2)
|Fund-Provisioning Measure to Support Strengthening the Foundations for Economic Growth*||9,512,678,789|
|Fund-Provisioning Measure to Stimulate Bank Lending||38,767,000,000|
- Comprises the loans pursuant to the following: (1) main rules, (2) special rules for equity investments and asset-based lending, (3) special rules for small-lot investments and loans, and (4) special rules for the U.S. dollar lending arrangement. The figures for the loans pursuant to the first three of those are included in "Loans" as Assets. The figure for loans pursuant to the special rules for the U.S. dollar lending arrangement is included in "Foreign currency assets" as Assets.
(Annex Table 3)
|Loans by Funds-Supplying Operations against Pooled Collateral (including funds provided under the fixed-rate method), Funds-Supplying Operation to Support Financial Institutions in Disaster Areas and Funds-Supplying Operation to Support Financial Institutions in Disaster Areas of the 2016 Kumamoto Earthquake||1,226,100,000|