Inclusion of Data on Shinkin Banks in "Principal Figures of Financial Institutions (Preliminary Figures)"
May 10, 2002
Bank of Japan
Financial Markets Department
The data coverage in "Principal Figures of Financial Institutions (Preliminary Figures)" is expanded, and data on shinkin banks are included from the figures for April 2002 released today. This change is to better reflect developments taking place in the bank lending market in Japan, such as mergers among major Japanese banks.
1. Changes in Tables
(1) Loans and discounts
- (a) The categories "city banks," "long-term credit banks," and "trust banks" are merged into the category "city banks." The total data coverage remains the same.
- (b) The categories "shinkin banks" and "total of banks and shinkin banks" are new items.
- (c) The data for shinkin banks are only included in the table "loans and discounts," and not in the table "loans and discounts adjusted for special items."
(2) Loans and discounts adjusted for special items
The name of the category "city banks, long-term credit banks, and trust banks" is changed to "city banks," but the data coverage remains the same.
2. Change in the Unit
The unit is changed to "100 million yen" from "10 billion yen."
3. Please refer to the attachment for historical data of "shinkin banks" and "total of banks and shinkin banks" from January 2000 through March 2002.
For further information, please contact:
Money and Capital Markets Division, Financial Markets Department, Bank of Japan
Nobuyasu Ueki Tel: +81-3-3277-1350
Yosuke Shigemi Tel: +81-3-3277-3082