Release of the "Regional Direct Investment Position (Inward Investment) (Ultimate Investor)" in the BOJ Time-Series Data Search
July 9, 2018
Bank of Japan
The Bank of Japan started to release the "Regional Direct Investment Position (Inward investment) (Ultimate investor)" by country (33 countries) and region -- for which data beginning from year-end 2015 are available -- as reference figures for the International Investment Position (IIP) of Japan (Calendar Year Data) in the BOJ Time-Series Data Search today. Please see the List of Series Codes [XLSX 15KB] for the series names and series codes of the newly added items.
For the "Regional Direct Investment Position (Inward investment) (Ultimate investor)," data by country and region for the investment position of overseas parent companies in affiliated companies in Japan (inward direct investment position)1 are compiled by regarding the country in which the ultimate investor holding ultimate control resides as the investing country (i.e., partner country).2
- The recording principle of these statistics differs from that of direct investment in Japan's IIP. For details, see Recording Principles of Direct Investment.
- The investing country is decided as follows.
- (1) When the overseas parent company A of an affiliate in Japan does not have an investor that owns more than 50 percent of the voting power, the country in which A resides is the investing country.
- (2) When there is an investor B that owns more than 50 percent of the voting power of A but that itself is not majority-owned by another investor, the country in which B resides is the investing country.
- (3) When there is an investor C that owns more than 50 percent of the voting power of B, the country in which C resides is the investing country.
International standards recommend the compilation of the inward direct investment position on an ultimate investor basis as such statistics are useful for obtaining a better grasp of cross-border direct investment. The Bank provided an overview and explained the compilation method of these statistics and made related data for year-end 2015 and year-end 2016 available in Japan's Balance of Payments Statistics and International Investment Position for 2016 [PDF 857KB] released in July 2017. Data for year-end 2015, year-end 2016 (annually revised figures), and year-end 2017 are now available in the BOJ Time-Series Data Search.
Balance of Payments Statistics Group, Balance of Payments Division, International Department